According to recent estimation, in 2030 the number of patients with diabetes will have risen to 366 million. (1)
In Hong Kong, diabetes is one of the top ten causes of death.(2)
Most diabetes’s patients are without any symptoms or signs at all, while some of them may have the following sign(s) or symptom(s). If you have the following sign(s) or symptom(s), please contact your doctor and check your blood glucose regularly.
Treating diabetes have several methods, here are the treatment strategies:
1. Medication therapy - please consult with your family doctor.
2. Monitoring Blood sugar test - glucose monitor Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) Continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) Urine glucose test.
Diabetes is no proven cure and it is the leading cause of kidney failure, blindness, stroke, cardiovascular diseases and lower limb ulcers(3). Hence, monitoring and control your glucose level in optimal level is very important. We can have regular checking at home via glucose monitor.
1. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 1047 – 1053.
2. Youth Diabetes Action, http://www.yda.org.hk/?p=718
3. Men’s Health Programme, Department of Health, HK, www.hkmenshealth.com/eng/healthline/diabetic.aspx